Saturday, January 20, 2007

My time with Luther Vandross. ‘Waiting For [Self] Love’

Tuesday, July 5, 2005 (original posting date)

I first met Luther Vandross when he lived in Los Angeles. At the time I had an apartment near the Santa Monica Pier. Around the corner was a live music spot called ‘At My Place.’

One evening friends and I went there to see David Lasley perform. (David Lasley is a very gifted singer/songwriter. Anita Baker’s ‘You Bring Me Joy’ and Chaka Khan’s ‘Roll Me Through The Rushes,’ among many beautiful songs, were written by Lasley.) That night, as usual ‘At My Place’ was packed. When locating our seats, I noticed Luther sitting at a table next to ours. He was glowing a little, still in his prime and just beginning to thin down in size. With Luther was Kevin Owens (one of his background singers) and Sam Harris (a white, multiple winner on ‘Star Search,’ known for his dramatic, throaty renditions of Black music classics.)

I was a professional musician at the time. A few of my peers were also hanging out that night. Some of L.A.’s best showed up for David. Soon, it got around the place that “Luffah” was in the house. Like me, most of my peers were extremely impressed with Luther as a creative musical force. Not only was Luther a ‘sangin’ fool’ (the very best male of his era), but, from album one his brilliance was accompanied by some of the baddest musicians on the New York scene, e.g. Marcus Miller, and Yogi Horton.

Being in close proximity to Luther and his friends I could hear their conversation. They were talking about how “fabulous” David’s show was going to be. All three men “carried on” with a very familiar sense of wit, using colloquialisms known mostly in Black homosexual circles. At the table, on the other side, were some fellow musicians from the L.A. scene. Impressed that it was Luther Vandross, at every possible moment, discretely they would sneak a glance at the musical marvel.Watching Luther casually interact with his friends, one of the L.A. musicians said, “Hey man, I think that Brother is gay!” “Naw, man. Not singing like that,” another said. “I’m serious man. Just look at him, and how he’s acting. I think he is." said the initiator of the topic. Irritated, I turned around and asked, “What if he is?” Stunned, the one who started the conversation said. ”It ain’t no thang to me. I’m a man. It’s just that….” Interrupting, I look him right in his eyes, and ask, “It’s just that what?” While he searched for words, I asked, "Are you an admirer of his music, his singing?” "Hell yeah, the boy is baad!" he said. “Then that’s all that matters. Unless you trying to get with him,” I remarked. His friends look at him and laugh. Uncomfortably he giggled saying, "Naw man, it ain’t like that. You see [pausing for drama, pointing at his chest] I’m a man.” I responded, “So is Luther, a man you greatly admirer. A dynamic man. Get over yourself, bruh.” I turned back around to my seat. They kept talking. But while that guy did lay off Luther, I noticed that he continued to stare. Many people did. After all, it was Luther Vandross!

Later, after catching Luther’s attention, I leaned in close to shake his hand and said, “Hi. I’m Cleo Manago, I play bass. I’m looking forward to David’s show. Are you enjoying life on the west coast?” “Nice to meet you Cleo. It’s fabulous here. I love the weather. Meet my friends.” He introduced me to Kevin Owens and Sam Harris. Soon after that, the show began, and we enjoyed it. I would run into Luther on a few occasions. Once backstage at the “Patti Labelle Show” (In the 1980’s for a very short time Labelle had a television show.) I also had the pleasure of attending a dinner party at Luther’s amazing home in Beverly Hills. It was during that experience when I had the opportunity to really observe and engage Vandross. He was a mixture of things. He was gracious, kind and always making funny remarks. For example, the meal Vandross provided was a sumptuous assortment of delectable African American cuisine (AKA "soul food" dishes) . After they prayed, the guests (a predominately Black mixture of famous singers and actors, musicians and Vandross’ mother and family) thanked Vandross for the meal. Following a bashful smile, Vandross exclaimed, “Dig in yawl. Just don’t waste no juice from the greens or no mac and cheese on my fabulous carpet. It takes time to clean those girls.” After some belly laughing we commenced to eating. When Luther and I talked, just he and I in his music room, I began to notice more closely very familiar traits so many ordinary and extraordinary Black people have. Here was a wealthy, celebrated and highly respected [Black, male] performer, who was very conscientious about his looks, his weight, his hair and his [beautiful] dark complexion. Badly, he wanted cross-over pop success ("pop" is a code word for "white"). He was obsessed with how people looked, and deeply envious of and physically attracted to the opposite of what he was, the opposite of dark, and of wooly, African hair. He was also very lonely and isolated (as a result, soon after, he would sell his 5 million dollar mansion and move back east). Even with all his fame and fortune he was pained by what he didn’t have; the acceptance of a pop audience, a personal love to call his own, a smaller waist line, and a different physical presentation. I was amazed (but not shocked) to observe Luther’s anguish. I enjoyed being in the presence of this legendary Brother. Along with the joy of that experience was the affirmation of something painful, that Black low self concept has to be eradicated. We have to co-create a community where Black people rarely succumb to the myth of their lack of beauty. We have to co-create sacred, self love and restoration spaces to help Sisters and Brothers to love them selves in their own image. So that the next Luther Vandross is allowed simply to relish in their genius and face the world with clarity and in celebration of whom they really are.In honor of Luther David Lasley has placed a song on his website written and performed by he and Luther called "Too Much Commotion Not Enough Emotion." On this demo recording, along with David, you also get a rare glimpse into hearing just how brilliant Luther was. Even in performance on a demo recording.

http://www.davidlasley.com/sounds.htmlLuther Ronzoni Vandross: 1951 - 2005Be well,
Cleo Manago

10 comments:

reggie said...

Excellent article. If i might i would like to tell how luther changed my life. In 1982 i was a soldier in K-town Germany and of course everbody was digging luther's music. I was listening to one of his songs and it occured to me that he was gay through the use of his lyrics. I ran out of my room in the barracks to tell my friend who i thought of as one the hardest brothers from NYC. As i proclaimed to him "luther's a fag". He looked at me as you can only look at someone who is truly stupid and said "so what he can sang". I walked out stunned but soon realized he was right it was none of my business and who should care except Luther. What a wonderful gift i recieved the gift of minding your own business. This might not seem like a lot but it is immeasurable. I can enjoy people for who they are without ridculos judgements. Believe me that gives you amuch happier fuller life.

Unknown said...

That article was beautiful, I'd like to say that it was very great of u to stand up for Luther like that cuz what that man was doing was straight up disrespect. I'm too young to have grown up when Luther was popular, but I find extreme passion and love inside listening to the soul music of him and Stevie Wonder. Songs like I'd Rather and If Only For One Night take me on an emotional, mental and physical journey, I feel a great connection to his music that I can't explain with words. His sexuality or anyone elses is of no importance and isn't an issue, his music is a beautiful story that will and has touched so many hearts, that's all that matters in the end of the day. Thank you for doing this, much respect.

Unknown said...

I was raised on music such as oldies, love songs etc. And as a young teenager I would always hear so much talk about luther vandross music. Surrounded by older siblings who listened to all kinds of soul music, especially luther vandross. So as I grew into womanhood I began to develope a strong sence of passion for luther vandross music as well as videos.... luther vandross you will always be a genius in my heart. Your music has touched a lot of lives. I wish I had gotten the opportunity to meet you. Not knowning that you were attending high school in the area where I grew up....taft high school in bronx new york! Love you luther rest on

Sylvia Smith said...

Luther was a musical genius. Your article really sets it straight on how we shouldn't judge our brothers and sisters and we should love and respect one another for what they are on the inside.

CloQue Milan said...

CloQue Milan, thank you so much for your article on Luther an the joy of meeting his acquaintence. You see it doesn't matter what a person orientation is in relation to their sexuality...it's how we treat and love each other is what counts. I read the book "Luther" written by the brilliant writer Craig Seymour. The two of you really help the fans of Luther understand him much better. The book is an excellent glimpse into how Luther process his thoughts. From the beginning he admire women performers i.e. Pattie Labelle, Dianna Ross, Roberta Flack and Cissy Houston. Now as a Psychologist, I finally understand. He desire to be like them, in ways captivate his audience with style, grace and the voice of a life time. That he did extremely well. It's 2016 and I still listen to Luther for weeks on end. Especially when I'm feeling lonely and sad. Sad that Luther is not here, Gerald Levert is not here and Michael Jackson is not here. Now PRINCE is not here. Their music touched my heart and made me feel "special". I never judged them ever! I love music and their's soothed me, gave me assurance that a man can love a woman like they sang about in their song. Luther probably did not want to come out as a gay black man, because his fans made him who he was as an artist and that's how he made his money! and he lived well from what I have read about and he pictures from his mansions here on earth. Which bring this to a close in saying that " All that hard work and lavish living, in the end he didn't take it with him" and sadly his mother Mary Ida passed leaving no more immediate family. Now the website for Luther is the only thing that can keep us hopeful and his legacy continues to shine in spite of his untimely death. I appreciate your sharing of the encounters with Mr. Vandross. A learned lesson hear is to live your life to the fullest. Amen corner

markstyles said...

Right after The David Bowie's Young Americans album came out.. Luther was hired with two other singers to sing back up for Todd Rundgren and Utopia (about 75, 76).. I was the sound mixer..

The band had full rehearsals for a week or two, before the tour, up in Bearsville, NY. Albert Grossman, was Todd's manager, and pretty much owned most of Bearsville, had a large building which had sleeping quarters for those involved in the tour. , The 2nd day we woke up, and there was a Bear walking on the edge of property.. Luther freaked, and insisted on having a limo drive him back and forth to NYC..

We traveled around Europe in bus for some of the gigs.. I would sit with him and talk.. I wasn't totally out of the closet.. especially not wanting to be with the Albert Grossman organization.. So we never talked about that subject..

After the tour I went back to Boston.. A year later, I came to NYC for business.. I had Luther's phone number and called him.. We
met for a lunch.. He started the conversation mentioning about going to a club, but I wouldn't understand.. I laughed and said 'you went to a gay discotech.. (yes they were called that for a quick minute at first).. His eyes got real wide.. He asked me if I was gay.. I said yes. 'Were you gay last year'.. Yes, Luther.. We both kind of laughed, and then changed the subject.

He had a very real concern about 'losing his audience' in those days.. He was an incredibly sweet man, but I'm sure he had his 'diva' moments.. making it as big as he did. A couple of years later I heard him on an FM radio interview in NYC, answering the question what his 'dream woman' would be..

I decided that I couldn't 'hide myself', not that I really broadcast it.. but to always be worried, about being discovered, caused too much anxiety.. and I certainly on a career trajectory like Luther's.. I perfectly understood and respected his position.. Thru the years, I was always 'strengthened' when some accomplished successful man, would come out..

We lost a very talented and unique soul, when he passed..

Unknown said...

Awesome article! Thank you! Yes he was a man of mystery. How sad it was that he didn't live his life like the music he wrote and performed. We LOVE Luther's music. Wish he could have loved himself and lived his life in love. Luther's music STILL blares in our home on weekends and on long road trips. Love him still!

CWM84 said...

Wow so Luther told you he was gay too after you told him he was? Many assumed and so do I, that Luther was gay. Not confirming or denying and as a gay man myself, we sort of know who is gay or not. I have been around a few black older gay men and Luther reminded me of them my travels. The wit, banter... the mannerisms were just all there. I wonder if he knew his fans many, already assumed he was gay and didn't care. I guess he felt he would lose his career if he came out...I could understand. It was a different time then. A few friends after his death have outed him... I think its important even though he never publicly came out, that he is still recongnized as being part of community. Many of his songs really connected with me as a gay man... Give me the reason was my fave song of his..

Unknown said...

Awesome reflection. Luther Vandross was AMAZING.

Thank you for the insight Dr Mango

Unknown said...

I am a female who loved Luther Vandross since I first heard and saw him in the military back in 81, he came and gave a free concert at Fort Bliss, I was in awe of him so tall and handsome. To me it doesn't matter what his preference was, he was still sexy to me. I will always love him. Forever. Rip Mr. Vandross.❤️❤️❤️